Monday, October 5, 2009

Everyone is healthy!

Okay, so no post over the weekend-- sorry! The Mansfield Family is happy and healthy. Sarah was the only one who got sick and she has been fine since Thursday evening. Thank you, Lord!

So this week is our catch-up week! You know, when you homeschool and a child is sick, a lot of things fall behind. So we are hoping to get our school work caught up, as well as our house! But I am so thankful that my girls are home with me. I count it a privilege to teach them each day.

I would ask that you all be praying for Shawn tomorrow. At 6pm he will defend his dissertation. It should be over by 8pm. He is not nervous at all. I asked him tonight and he said, "What is there to be nervous about? It is just a brief like I give all the time, about information I have been researching for over 2 years. If I can't talk about it, I don't deserve the doctorate."
Well, okay then. I guess that is one way we are vastly different from one another. If it were me I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight! We are so proud of him for working the past 3 years on this degree. Shawn started his doctorate the month before Lauren was diagnosed with Rett Syndrome. And let me tell you, that seems like a lifetime ago! He started in June and Lauren was diagnosed on July 21. I asked him at the time if he thought he should delay school. He didn't want to do that because he knew he would probably never get to it if he stopped. How thankful I am for his wisdom in the midst of the biggest crisis our family has ever faced. He is absolutely right; he would have never gotten back into it. I am thankful for Shawn, for the husband and father that he is and I'm proud of this latest accomplishment. I'll have to share his life story with you all sometime. It is a good one!

1 comment:

Martha from NC said...

Glad everybody is well and that you have recovered from the Strollathon.
I am praying for Shawn and his dissertation. He will do fine, I'm sure. He is certainly to be admired for his hard work. I think a BIG party is in order when he receives his doctorate.
Have a great week.
Love to all of you,
Martha